Entries for the 2nd Annual Durban Tourism Business Awards are still open
The second edition of the awards will take place on 15 June 2023 and will offer cash and development prizes to winners and runners up.
Entries close on the 20th of January 2023.
Entrants will receive an automated response via email confirming their successful online entry.
The inaugural awards, which are the brainchild of the City’s marketing unit Durban Tourism, were held for the first time in June this year. They proved to be a huge success in promoting excellence and innovation within the tourism sector as well as widely marketing the City’s tourism gems.
The second edition of the awards will take place on 15 June 2023 and will offer cash and development prizes to winners and runners up. This is to help elevate their businesses.
Categories for the awards are as follows:
- Upcoming Filmmakers Award. This is aimed at recognising upcoming and outstanding people and organisations that have produced, written a script, or directed films in the past five years that showcased Durban in their film as well as documentaries and adverts.
2. Service Excellence Award. This will include the following:
- The Accommodation Award – for bed and breakfasts, country houses, guest houses, hotels, lodges, and self-catering units.
- MESE Award – (Meetings, Exhibitions, and Special Events venues).
- Visitor Experiences Award – will include scenic beauty, adventure and activities, wildlife, lifestyle, beach experience, luxury, and restaurants.
- Tourist Guides Award – will include nature, adventure, and culture guides.
- Tour Operators Award
- Rickshaw Pullers Award
- Crafters Award
- Event Organisers and Promoters Award – that bring international events to Durban and package their events with other tourism products
3. Sustainable Development Award – This will award green tourism-based products that have adhered to the impact of climate change and have placed emphasis on the environmental impact and green sustainable solutions in their businesses.
4. Entrepreneurship Award – This will recognise black-owned small, medium, and micro enterprises who have achieved notable success since starting their tourism establishments.
5. Special Achievement Award, also known as the Mayor’s Choice – This prestigious award will recognise tourism products that have stood the test of time in the following three categories:
- A product that attracts visitors to the City (investment).
- Creating jobs
- Is internationally acclaimed
Following the entry process, the tabulation and audit approval will take place until 28 January 2023.
This will be followed by public voting and the judging process of the nominated products. This includes physical visits to the nominated businesses.