ENTRIES NOW OPEN FOR THE 3RD DURBAN TOURISM BUSINESS AWARDS
Businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector are invited to apply to be part of the 3rd annual Durban Tourism Business Awards. The awards aim to recognise excellence and innovation in the tourism sector.
Entries open today, 20 November and close on 23 February 2024.
Entrants stand the chance to win development prizes to elevate their business to the next level. All category winners will take home up to R50 000 in cash while exceptional achievement winners will be awarded R100 000 to attend an international tourism exhibition or study tour. The first runner-up will receive R35 000 while the second runner up will receive R25 000.
The awards have been hailed by previous winners as a wonderful platform to expose their businesses. The platform provides extensive marketing opportunities such as free advertising and other support.
CATEGORIES FOR THE AWARDS INCLUDE:
1. Service Excellence Category which includes the following subcategories:
- The Accommodations Awards: Hotels and non-hotels
- MESE Awards will include meetings, exhibitions, and special events venues.
- Visitor Experiences Awards will include scenic beauty, roots and culture, adventure and activities, wildlife, lifestyle, beach experience, and lap of luxury.
- Tourist Guides Awards will include nature guides, adventure guides, and culture guides.
- Tour Operators Awards includes both emerging and established tour guides.
- Rickshaw Pullers
- Event Organisers and promoters
2. The Sustainable Development Category is based on the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa and awards those that promote universal accessibility and green tourism products.
3. The Entrepreneurship Category awards an emerging tourism entrepreneur recognising black-owned small, medium, and micro enterprises (SMME) tourism establishments who have achieved notable success since they started.
4. The Upcoming Filmmakers Category honours upcoming, outstanding, unique, and impactful organisations and people that have produced, written a script, and directed films in the past five years that have showcased Durban in their film as a destination of choice.
5. The Exceptional Achievement Category honours globally acclaimed companies that influence visitor flow to the city, contribute to job creation and remains competitive in offering and putting Durban as a destination on the map. The Exceptional Achievement Awards includes five subcategories which are as follows:
- Rural and township investment development
- Creative industry
- Persons with disabilities excelling in the sector.
After the entry process is completed, the tabulation and audit process for businesses will take place. The entire awards process will be comprehensively audited. This will be followed by phase two which is public voting. This is keeping in line with the awards’ objectives which is to achieve public awareness of local tourism products.
The third and final stage will see an independent panel of judges process the nominated products. This includes physical visits to the nominated businesses.
Community Tourism Organisations, industry stakeholders and role players as well as the public are urged to identify and encourage potential tourism businesses within their areas to enter the Awards.
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 031 322 4164.
Alternatively, visit www.durbantourimawards.com or follow @DBNTourism on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Issued by eThekwini Municipality’s Communications Unit.